How you can forestall these annoying texting typos
We might earn income from the merchandise accessible on this web page and take part in affiliate applications. Be taught extra ›
Scroll again via your texting historical past, and also you’ll see a sequence of errors that make your messages appear like ransom notes. Misspelled phrases, random areas, and hilarious autocorrect errors are so widespread that you could find complete web sites dedicated to them. Right here’s learn how to forestall these keyboard betrayals—and sort slightly sooner within the course of.
Why you make so many cellphone typos
Telephones have small screens, and we’ve massive thumbs. This makes us inherently extra vulnerable to errors once we’re poking at a cellphone keyboard with our sausage fingers. It’s “a very totally different expertise than typing on a pc,” says Angana Ghosh, Product Supervisor for Google’s Gboard. “There’s smaller actual property on a cellphone display.”
Why can’t the keyboard compensate for our shortcomings? The issue is, builders must cater to your typing type, which varies wildly from individual to individual. “There’s a distinction in how folks maintain their telephones (single handed versus double handed),” Ghosh says, “and there’s a mess of the way to kind—single-finger tappers, two-thumb tappers, gesture typers, prediction takers.” This not solely makes it arduous for us to kind precisely, however makes it arduous to create a very good cell keyboard.
Some would even argue that our normal QWERTY keyboard is inherently inefficient, each on cell and desktop. “Traditionally, the keyboard format has been chosen for its ratio between effectivity and efforts required by the person,” says Olivier Plante, CEO of the corporate behind the favored Fleksy keyboard. “Within the close to future, we see the introduction of a brand new format tailored to digital interfaces and gesture-based typing,” he says.
Though a number of corporations have launched radically totally different keyboard paradigms, such because the gesture-based 8pen, they haven’t actually caught on. Even “swipe” typing on normal QWERTY layouts, which is out there on most of the hottest smartphone keyboards, hasn’t change into ubiquitous. Not many individuals wish to study to kind from scratch—even when it will make them extra environment friendly in the long term— we persist with the keyboard layouts we all know.
Fortunately, loads of keyboard makers have gone the additional mile to make up for the inadequacies of contact display typing. However to take benefit, you may want to put in a brand new keyboard.
Select a brand new format
With a purpose to lower down on errors, you desire a keyboard with a number of settings you can tweak to fit your typing type. This often requires a third-party keyboard out of your cellphone’s app retailer.
Android telephones allow you to customise your keyboard a bit greater than iPhones do. However you could find specialised layouts for each methods. Listed here are just a few we suggest.
- Gboard (for iOS and Android): Technically, Gboard is the default keyboard on Google’s Android telephones, however on the iPhone and closely modified Android units (like Samsung’s Galaxy line), it requires a third-party obtain. Gboard gives glide typing, emoji strategies, voice enter (via Google’s extremely highly effective voice recognition), and quite a lot of settings to customise the format for fewer errors. Nonetheless, the Android model gives considerably extra settings than the iOS one.
- SwiftKey (for iOS and Android): SwiftKey is, in the beginning, all about textual content prediction. Whereas most keyboards provide a bar alongside the highest that implies the phrase it thinks you’re attempting to put in writing, SwiftKey’s greatest objective is to make these strategies as correct as potential. Not solely does it study from what you kind in your cellphone, however you can too join it to your Google or Microsoft accounts so it may examine your emails, textual content messages, and different writing. It additionally gives glide typing, and on Android, its format is extraordinarily customizable.
- Fleksy (for iOS and Android): If SwiftKey sounds slightly too invasive for you, check out Fleksy. It does all of its processing in your cellphone, with out sending any of your information to Fleksy’s servers. Sadly, its auto-prediction function isn’t almost nearly as good, and it doesn’t have an choice for glide typing. Nonetheless, on iOS, it’s probably the most customizable of the three, due to the way in which it makes use of extensions to tweak its format. Customization of the Android model of Fleksy is on par with the opposite keyboards.
These keyboards needs to be a very good place to begin, but when none of them go well with you, be happy to poke round your app retailer and see what’s accessible.
Set up and allow the third-party keyboard
When you’ve downloaded a brand new keyboard, you’ll must allow it out of your cellphone’s settings—which takes many extra faucets than you’d anticipate.
If you happen to’re utilizing an iPhone, head to Settings > Normal > Keyboards > Keyboards and faucet “Add New Keyboard.” To allow a few of its options, you may additionally must faucet on that keyboard within the ensuing listing and toggle “Enable Full Entry”. The subsequent time you enter an app and wish to begin typing, you must have the ability to change between keyboards by tapping and holding the globe or emoji icon within the bottom-right nook.
On Android, head to Settings > System > Languages & Enter > Digital Keyboard and faucet “Handle Keyboards,” then toggle in your new obtain. Enter an app and pull up your keyboard, and you’ll change between choices by tapping the small keyboard icon within the bottom-right nook of your cellphone’s display (within the navigation bar). Nonetheless, these directions might range relying in your mannequin of Android cellphone.
Customise your keys for simpler typing
If you happen to’re utilizing one in every of our really helpful keyboards on Android or Fleksy on iOS, you’ll discover fairly just a few customization choices in that keyboard’s settings. This isn’t nearly colours and GIFs, both—many of those tweaks can help you change the dimensions, form, and format of the keyboard to make typing simpler.
Specifically, look via the settings to make a few of the following changes.
- Resize the keyboard. You could possibly shift the keyboard to the left or proper of the display for simpler one-handed typing, or cut up it down the center for simpler two-handed typing. Some apps additionally allow you to make the keyboard larger or smaller altogether—and as Ghosh says, “Greater is best!” Bigger keys present simpler targets to your clumsy thumbs.
- Add a quantity row. If you happen to kind numbers typically, you possibly can add a quantity row alongside the highest. This may make your keyboard take up extra of your display, however it is going to additionally allow you to entry numbers with out having to faucet or tap-and-hold an additional key.
- Allow gestures. Some keyboards provide extra gestures than others, however on the whole, this setting enables you to delete phrases by swiping left, capitalize letters by swiping up or swiping from the Shift key, and reap the benefits of different shortcuts.
- Swipe to kind. Typically known as “glide typing” or “gesture typing,” this lets you kind by swiping your finger between the keys. When you get the cling of it, it may truly be sooner than tap-typing.
- Take a look at the themes. Themes aren’t only for enjoyable colours and patterns. Some additionally add an overview to the important thing borders, which could enable you intention higher when attempting to hit a key.
- Add phrases to your dictionary. Continually utilizing non-standard phrases like “homeskillet” and “awesomesauce”? You possibly can add these phrases to your private dictionary so your keyboard received’t continuously “right” you. Some choices, similar to Gboard, may also allow you to add your contacts’ names to your keyboard with the flick of a change.
- Sync your dictionary. Many keyboards can help you sync a private dictionary drawn out of your Google, Microsoft, or different account. Doing so will trigger far fewer autocorrect errors, significantly when you’ve got a number of units or simply bought a brand new cellphone. If you happen to allow this this in SwiftKey, you can too give the keyboard entry to your e mail and textual content messages, permitting it to study extra info extra rapidly.
- Decide out of snippet sharing. By default, Gboard and SwiftKey share anonymized snippets of your typing with their servers to make their predictions higher for everybody. If you happen to’d choose to show this off, you are able to do so within the keyboard’s settings. It received’t change your expertise a lot, although it’s possible you’ll endure a responsible feeling from understanding that you just’re contributing much less to the keyboard’s general enchancment. Or not.
Dig round your keyboard’s settings and see what different options it gives. You may discover that your greatest annoyances are literally fixable, resulting in a better, extra correct typing expertise.